Thoughts from Quebec City (IFOMPT Conference)- Day 3
Day 3 did not disappoint. Thanks in large part to David Butler, Mariano Rocabado, Tim Flynn and Harry von Piekartz (I’m officially a fan, especially since he graduated from my PT school in Holland).
A Manual Therapist as defined by David Butler. I never get tired of listening to Butler.
- A Manual Therapist is a Biopsycholosocialist
- A Manual Therapist is a Brain Reinhibitor and Sculptor
- A Manual Therapist is an Immunotherapist
- A Manual Therapist is a Linguist
Temporomandibular Disorders (TMD) Update
- 40-75% of the population has at least one sign of TMD
- 33% report at least one symptom of TMD
- only 4-7% seek treatment
Imaging and Physical Therapy
- Individuals need to understand that an MRI image of a disc lesion represents a picture of a single moment of time in a certain position. And that there is little evidence that it indicates a prolonged course of pain or disability. Imaging alone is not enough to appreciate and explain a person’s spinal condition.
- Early physical therapy intervention decreases the risk of subsequent medical services vs. late intervention.